Re: Bash script help

On Saturday 07 February 2004 14:52, Mathieu Masse wrote:
> >    I want to write a bash script to copy my bookmarks, addressbook and
> > mbox files from Mozilla on Linux to Mozilla on Windows. I started with
> > this but it keeps giving me a Permission denied error.
> >
> > ########
> > #!/bin/sh
> >

> > # This script will copy my mail folders (mbox, rules, contacts and
> > bookmarks)
> > # to my windows directory.
> >

> > lin=/home/mathieu/.mozilla/default/lprtbxy0.slt/
> > win=/mnt/W2K/Documents\ and\ Settings/Mathieu\ Masse/Application\
> > Data/Mozilla/Profiles/Default\ User/qe0cqve6.slt/
> >

> > cp $lin/bookmarks.html $win
> > cp $lin/abook* $win
> >
> > ########
>
> Ok got it to work but not with the variable for the windows directory,
> it complains about the spaces in the path. When I put it either with
> nothing or some \ it gives the same error, when I enter in the cp lines
> the full win path instead of the variable it works. How do I enter it
> has a variable?
>
> Mathieu
use win='mnt/W2K/Documents\ and\ Settings/Mathieu\ Masse/Application\Data/
Mozilla/Profiles/Default\ User/qe0cqve6.slt/'
The single quotes will prevent the shell from interpreting the '\ ' bits as
anything other than literal strings - this means that when you type $win, the
value output should include the escapes.
try it on the command line first!
export win=...
cd $win

Stuart