Re: Kernel Panic

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 06:06:07 -0600, Thomas Fortner <thomas.fortner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

OK
Tried the change in grub.conf to ro root=/dev/hda1
And the boot  got a little further it stopped with complaints about
missing init.
Stuart mentioned making the same changes in fstab by which I read that I
did not have to do it because I had made the grub.conf change.

I think hda1 is correct how do I verify it is?
Given the previous kernel always boots OK have I reached the point where
I should remove the latest kernel and up2date it again.
If so could someone walk me through removing the kernal please.
No rush I'm going to get some sleep, partly because some of this I
should know but can't recall, so I won't be trying any more until Friday
night at the earliest.
Regards Roger

Roger,

Have you built an initrd to go with this kernel? Do I remember correctly
that this is one you built from source code? The complaints about
"missing init" means that the initrd is missing from the /boot
directory. There should be a file called "initrd-2.4.20-28.9.img" for
"vmlinuz-2.4.20-28.9". The version numbers must match each other and
they are built when you build the kernel from source code. Both of them
should be copied into the /boot directory when you run "make bzImage"
(if I remember correctly) during your kernel building. There is a HOWTO
on the 1st Red Hat CD that describes building a custom kernel.

Is there a specific reason you are building a custom kernel instead of
using rpm to install a pre-built kernel?

Tom

Sorry I seem to have removed all of the previous posts when trimming.
To recap.
The whole point is this was form an up2date on my RH9 box no intervention
by my me except the usual clicks on "forward".
Since the world and his dog have not been complaning (so there was no inherent flaw in the kernel) and the previous kernel works fine,and every kernel before, (indicating my configs must fairly OK)
I'm coming to the conclusion the install of the last kernal might have been faulty.
Regards Roger

-- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/