problem with sm-client

Im getting problems while running sendmail on my RedHat 9 box, At several
times when i checked the status of sendmail mail, it gives me following
results:
[root@ADVCOMM4 root]# service sendmail status
sendmail (pid 30838) is running...

but at the same time, when i restart sendmail, it shows the following output.
# /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail restart
Shutting down sendmail:                                    [  OK  ]
Shutting down sm-client:                                   [FAILED]
Starting sendmail:                                         [  OK  ]
Starting sm-client:                                        [  OK  ]

sm-client is going down after few hours regularly, what can be the reason of
this. and what can be the effects on my mail server, if sendmail is running
and sm-client is not running i.e. above case.

--

Muhammad Rizwan Khan