RE: wheel group

At 21:27 2/4/2004, you wrote:
>And not to get into a one up or anything, but if you created a su-users group
>for those users, you would avoid spilling any other access the wheel group
>may have.

Is there any other access given to wheel? I was under the impression that
the group was pretty much "those who can become root" but had fallen into
disuse...

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wheel was the "print wheel changing group" that needed to have print administrator permissions so they could stop the print queues long enough to change the print wheels on daisy wheel printers. This was the way that type styles and sizes were done when I first started working on UNIX in the late 1980s. We were already connecting laser printers to serial ports to speed printing and reduce the workload on the daisy wheels because they were noisy and slower than lasers, but for green bar reports the cost per page was too attractive to phase them out.

Tom

Thomas S. Fortner
Burleson, Texas
thomas.fortner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"but we preach Christ crucified..."  1 Corinthians 1:23