From: redhat-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:redhat-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Stuart Sears
Sent: 04 February 2004 13:47
To: redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: display problems - please help 2

On Wednesday 04 Feb 2004 13:20, Howard Protheroe wrote:
> Hello. I have gone back to the start here.
> Not being particularly computer literate I need basic help.
>
> I have a version of redhat9 using a matrox g550 and everything works fine.
> I have bought a pny nvidia quadro fx500 and want to install it.
> I have tried putting the card in the machine and everything went to pot.
>
> - Should I install the drivers in the current system, and update the XF86
> config file and then put the card in the machine.
> - To install the driver the docs say I should:
> 1.exit the X server and set default run level so I will boot to a vga
> console and not boot directly to X.

> Can anybody help by giving me a step by step guide. On a clean
installation
> I can't even get a graphical interface. I was lead to believe that nvidia
> were the most compatible cards with linux but I am starting to doubt.
certainly. A word of advice, however - if posting to a
newsgroup/mailingllist
_please_ start a new thread instead of just replying to an existing message
and changing the title - this messes up the threading in threaded mail
clients and will encourage much wrath and ire... :-)
note that I've pulled this out and started a new thread with it...

Okay, installing NVIDIA drivers:

shutdown, install your new card, then...

boot ,  hit 'e' at the grub screen, then highlight the kernel... line, press
'e' again to edit this line.
add ' 3' (the leading space matters) to the end of this line, hit enter,
then
b to boot.

this should give you a text-based login screen, where you will login as
root.
find your NVIDIA.blahblahblah.run file.
make it executable
chmod +x NVIDIA.blahblahblah.run
run it:
./NVIDIA.blahblahblah.run
follow the menus (let it compile if it has to)
when it has finished,
edit /etc/X11/XF86Config
search for Driver "nv" (or whatever yours uses. IT will be part of a Device
section)
change this to read Driver "nvidia"
save the file and exit.

# if you have an rpm of the NV drivers, just install it using rpm -ivh
NV---.rpm (whatever it's called).

I would still check that the XF86Config file mentioned above has been
changed.

then test with 'startx'
if you are happy with the results (ie if it works) then you can switch to
runlevel 5 for a graphical login:
kill X (either logout in the menu, or Ctrl-Alt-Backspace)
then on the console:
init 5; exit (this will log out your root session).

you can use redhat-config-xfree86 too, if you want (after you've installed
the
drivers) - click on Advanced, then Configure (Video Card) and make sure that
the 'driver' box has the word 'nvidia' in it.
This is a good place to change/set resolutions if you aren't comfortable
with
editing the XF86Config file too much.

Hope this helps

Stuart