Anonymous FTP

I would like to configure anonymous FTP. The home directory will be /var/ftp.
This directory will not be writable by the ftp user. The anonymous ftp user
will need to put files onto the ftp server. So we created a sub-directory of
pub under /var/ftp. The /var/ftp/pub directory is writable to the ftp user.
This setup works fine, but we would like for the anonymous user to have the
non- writable home dir, put be automatically placed in the writable pub
directory (as if they issued a cd pub command).
I am running vsftpd 1.2.0 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux v3.
I have tried changing the /etc/passwd file entry for the anonymous user as
follows. ftp:x:14:50:FTPUser:/var/ftp/./pub:/sbin/nologin
I have also tried using the anon_root=/pub.
Both of the option appears like vsftpd is changing to the writable pub
directory, but vsftpd thinks this is the anonymous ftp user's home directory
and will not allow the connection because the pub directory is writable.
Any ideas on how to allow the anonymous ftp user to write without making the
anonymous ftp user manually cd into a writable directory?
Thanks,
Jon Tanner