It's my mail server but I will risk a reboot to note the exact message.
But as far as I remember it's the one as posted in the other posting but not for the same reason obviously.
Regards Roger

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 08:58:56 -0500, Hamilton Andrew <Andrew.Hamilton@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Roger,

What exact error are you getting and what does your grub.conf look like?
Also what are the contents of your /boot directory?  Some of this
information might help in tracking down your problem.  You can go back to
the latest working boot configuration which is a reason I always leave it
and try again.  That is probably simplest.  If that still causes you
problems repost and we'll see if we can't help you fix it.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Beever [mailto:roger2@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 5:40 PM
To: redhat list
Subject: RE: kernel wont boot

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 18:27, Hamilton Andrew wrote:
Roger,

Are you using grub or lilo?  Not that it matters but the config is a
little different.  Make sure you have the new kernel in the config
file.  Make sure you have the initrd to match your version of the
kernel.  If not use mkinitrd to create the initrd.  Read the manpage
for the syntax, it's pretty simple.  I've never had this happen to me
using up2date but that doesn't mean it can't.  I don't use labels for
my partitions, I typically just boot the root device so if you are
using labels it may be a function of loading the modules using the
ramdisk(initrd).

Drew
GRUB
with a straight off the CD type install spread over 2 drives.
root should be on hda1 as far as I remember.
Might it be easier to remove the latest kernel and try again?
I have made no changes to GRUB

-- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/