Re: redhat linux start question

On February 3, 2004 05:20 pm, Edward Dekkers wrote:
> jazzip jazzip wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > It seems to be a problem with your interface card. Have you tried to boot
> > without network services?
>
> You sure? I thought the loopback service didn't rely on the interface card?
>
> Could someone please explain if I'm wrong?
>
> Regards,
> Ed.

Ed,
Thats correct, the loopback interface is not part if the actual nic. However,
bypassing the lo startup may get the sytem in a workable state. I would try
interactive mode during boot (gotta be fast on new systems:) or else boot
into single user mode.

Have a look at dmesg and messages log.

Depending what you find in dmesg & logs, while in single user you can try:
 ifconfig lo
 ifconfig lo up   -at least you can kill it with ctl-c

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce