Re: ClamAV or another?

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 02:10:16PM -0800, Mike McMullen wrote:
> From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > I use f-prot at home.  It's not open source, but is free for
> > non-commercial use.  I don't know if that's good enough for you.  It's
> > already caught over 600 copies of the MyDoom virus heading my way.
> >
> >         .../Ed
> > --
> Hi Ed,

> Well I have several email accounts on this system. Does it scan
> incoming email at the inbound sendmail level or when a message is
> downloaded to a mailbox via popd or imapd? I  need something that
> checks as the message is coming in.

I use MailScanner which invokes f-prot.  All my mail is scanned before
it is delivered to any end user.  You have a bunch of options if a
message is infected, from dropping the mail in the bitbucket to
automatically notifying the sender of the infection (a feature I hate
since I get several of these per day from other sites that don't realize
that the from address for the MyDoom worm is forged).  I simply strip
the virus, deliver the remaining pieces, and quarantine the infected
hunks for subsequent purging (automatic) or inspection.

It works really well for me, especially since I act as a mail forwarder
for multiple domains.  Some mail goes into my server, hits the
virtusertable, and just bounces back out again.  That mail is scanned
too.

I've used it with both Postfix and sendmail.  The mail goes from the MTA
to an incoming queue, MailScanner picks it up, scans it (and calls
SpamAssassin if you want), and re-delivers the pieces.  It's all
transparent after it's set up.

> I don't have control of the user agents.

I've got access to a few of mine, but not all.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx