RE: email backup

There are a lot of methods for doing backup.  It depends on the reason for
your backup.  Do you want something where your email accounts disk is
mirrored?  Or all the emails are archived?  Or just a backup once a day?
Is the reason for backup to recover email accounts only or to be able to
recover the whole server?

And also, how much disk space do the email accounts take up?

And finally, for what kind of company are these email accounts used for and
is there a policy on backing up email that you have to follow?

Most backups are best done to some sort of media that can be archived and
not written over.  Tapes/CD/DVD are good for this.  If you have one extra
disk drive, then you either have to continue writing over your previous
backups (not good in most situtations) OR backup by date on your hard disk
which will eventually run out .   This is also bad because you have multiple
backups on one media.  If that one media goes bad, you've lost all your
backups.  So using a hard drive for backups is not necessarily the best.

However, email is an especially interesting thing to backup as some firms do
NOT want to back up email older than 1 week (legal reasons).  For this
reason, you could use a hard drive and just back up one week of email and
then start writing over your backups so only one week is kept at the
longest.

Just some things to consider.