RE: Java problem

Hi.  I need some help with installing a plugin for Mozilla 1.4.  I am
using RH-Linux 7.3.  For some of the web sites I visit I get a message
saying "Java not installed" or "Java not enabled".  So I went onto the
Mozilla web site and followed the instructions to install both Java and
a plugin that is required to see all the stuff on these web sites.  if
you go to www.truelook.com you will see what I mean.  I followed the
instructions and I still get the messages.  I'm quite frustrated at this
point because I have made a couple attempts to fix this and have done
nothing but spend countless hours getting nowhere.  So this means that
for some web sites I have to reboot the computer into windows and view
them there.  Has anyone had this problem and if so then what the heck
did you do to fix it?

Hi James,

You have two different issues here. One is with _javascript_ in your browser (which I assume to be a variant of Mozilla) and one is with Java. Both are used on this web site. The _javascript_ part is easy, as all you do is open the browser, choose Edit/Preferences and click "Advanced." Check the "Enable Java" check box to enable _javascript_.

To enable Java is a little more complicated. Download and install Java first if you haven't (http://java.sun.com). Then you need to create a soft link from /usr/java/j2re1.4.2/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so to your browser's plugins folder. I use Netscape 7.1 and it is in /usr/local/netscape/plugins. If you use the built in version of Mozilla, it is in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. I think the download version of Mozilla saves plugins in /usr/local/mozilla/plugins. You need to restart the browser if it is running to make it load the plugins.

I went to the web site with Netscape and it works fine on my system, so if you make sure both of these are done it should work for you.

Tom

Thomas S. Fortner
Burleson, Texas
thomas.fortner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"but we preach Christ crucified..."  1 Corinthians 1:23