OT: MS Exchange License question

Totally Off Topic... but I'm sure some Sys Admins on this list have been
through this.

In a total Linux server shop (samba, sendmail, etc), has anyone ever
purchased MS Exchange server and let's say 50 CAL licence, just so the
Windows users could have legal copies of Outlook? Exchange would never be
installed, we just want legal Outlook licences.

I know that I could call MS$ and ask them, but I want a real world answer,
as compared to a canned response from a MS$ droan.

All the (l)users we have, demand Windows, (We use several proprietary
Windows only software packages) and are wanting Outlook for it's PIM stuff,
mostly Contacts & Calendar. So... I had this though this afternoon about buying
50 cal Exchange. It *appears* to be less expensive than buying Outlook licences
direct.

Any thoughts/comments on this?

Cheers!
--