Re: Strange

Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:

On Wednesday 28 January 2004 04:37 am, Leo wrote:

I connected to another computer via ssh and ran redhat-config-services.

The configurator then executed in the local machine.

Is this normal?

Well, if that's not the case, what do you expect then, where the GUI should be displayed ? :) :)

Hehe.
Actually I expected to see a text version of the configurator running in remote, and then the surprise of seeing the GUI pop up locally!

Seriously, yes, it is normal. It's called X forwarding. And I think it's one of the greatest feature in linux / XFree86. When you SSH to the another machine and run an X application, the application will try to connect to your local machine thru the SSH tunnel (so it's secure). By default Redhat enables X forwarding.

Yes, I see. Didn't know about that. Smart little apps. ;)

If you don't like it, you can disable X forwarding in /etc/sshd_config. But I have to say I love X forwarding. It makes me able to do all kind of stuff (admin things or work) from my workstation to all kind of other machines.

It's Ok as it is, as long as it doesn't mean that I have a hole in my computer.

With all this, you mean that X forwarding is done through the already open ssh connection?

Thanks.