NFS Server Reboot

I've tested disconnecting our NFS server from the network. As expected, any processes accessing an NFS share "hang" until the connection is restored, and which point, they all spring back to life. This is good.

Does anyone know what happens if the NFS server process dies, or if the server is rebooted? I seem to remember last time I ran an "exportfs -r" to load new mountpoint, all the clients started complaining of "stale nfs handles", and had to be individually rebooted. This is not a good thing. How can I work with the NFS server without causing all the clients to go haywire?

An NFS server crash is obviously a bad thing, but I'd expect the clients to revive themselves once the server is back online.

Thanks,

Norman