Re: Screen resolution.

On Thursday 29 January 2004 01:39 pm, James Moberg wrote:
> I am running version 7.3.  By "No luck" I mean that when I try to run
> the programs:
>
> redhat-config-xfree86

redhat-config-xfree86 does not exist in Redhat 7.3 (not until RH 8 or maybe
9). That's why it is important to always include the redhat vesion so that
people don't give irrelevant suggestion.

> etc/X11/XF86Config

This is not a program, it is a configuration file. Here what you can do (as
root):
1. If you have the file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, edit that file, otherwise edit
the file /etc/X11/XF86Config with your favorite editor:
(NOTE: Make backup copy of the file first in case you mess something up)

2. Go to the section Screen, and edit the lines that says Modes, then just add
the resolution you want  eg: "800x600".  Change nothing else.
For example, here is my "Screen" section in file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

 Section "Screen"
  Identifier "Screen0"
  Device "My Video Card"
  Monitor "DELL P991"
  DefaultDepth 16
  Subsection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768"
  EndSubSection
EndSection

3. Then restart X. Now, you should be able to increase / decrease resolution
with the combination of : control-alt-plus or control-alt-minus key as I
mentioned before. X will try to use the highest resolution setting available,
so if you only want 800x600, then just remove the rest of the resolution
defined in the file.

--- OR : Another way to do it:

1. Login as root and run Xconfigurator (that's exactly the program name, with
capital X). Here is the absolute path to the program:
$ which Xconfigurator
/usr/X11R6/bin/Xconfigurator

It's probably not installed by default, but the RPM is included with the RH
7.3 distro, so you can install the RPM : Xconfigurator-4.10.7-1.rpm

2. Then just follow the on screen instruction, and when you get to the section
of selecting resolution, select the resolution you want, including 800x600.

3. Restart X and you should be good to go (again, you can increase / decrease
resolution as long you've specified them).

Hope that helps.

RDB

--
Reuben D. Budiardja