Re: Changing owners recursively

On 22:21 28 Jan 2004, Go, Jeffrey <jeffrey.go@xxxxxxx> wrote:
| I have a directory that I have used the command "chown -R user:group dir".
| The existing files created get their owners and groups changed.
|
| However, subsequently, when creating new files under the same directory, the user and group revert to root:root.
|
| What command will I need to use to make sure new files created have the same group?

You need to add the setgid bit to the directories:

	find dir -type d -exec chmod g+s {} ';'

And make sure your users' umasks are set up for shared group work, which
generally means they grant group-write to stuff, and thus are 002 or 007.
Of course, this depends on your policies.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

You only live once in life, but if you do it right, once is enough!
        - Rob Castro <rdc8@xxxxxxxxxxxx>