add hda, still boot XP from sda?

hello, any dual boot geeks here?

when i add hda (with linux) where before there was only sda (with XP),
can i somehow still boot XP on that sda?

so far i can only make XP boot by removing hda again.  (an idea i
haven't tried yet is to copy XP onto an hda partition, tho i'd rather
leave it on sda if possible.)

here's the grub entries i've tried (no joy):
title _XP  sda2 (hd1,1)
   hide         (hd0,3)
   unhide       (hd1,1)
   rootnoverify (hd1,1)
   makeactive
   chainloader --force +1
   pause pausing..
title _XP map swap
   map (hd0) (hd1)
   map (hd1) (hd0)
   rootnoverify (hd0,1)
   makeactive
   chainloader --force +1
   pause pausing..
title _XP  sda2 (hd2,1)
   rootnoverify (hd2,1)
   chainloader +1
   makeactive
title _XP  sda2 (hd7,1)
   rootnoverify (hd7,1)
   chainloader +1
title _XP  sda2 (hd8,1)
   rootnoverify (hd8,1)
   chainloader +1
title _XP  sda2 (hd9,1)
   rootnoverify (hd9,1)
   chainloader +1

(the hda partition i'm hiding contains win2k.)
trying the first above, after proceeding from the pause, it hangs.
trying the second, after proceeding from the pause, grub prints "Loading
Stage2", if i read correctly in the split second before it clears the
screen, then offers me a useless grub prompt.  i deduce it crashes and
winds up in the grub bootstrap again.

(hd2) through (hd7) give:
Error 21: Selected disk does not exist

(hd8) and (hd9) give:
Error 12: Invalid device requested

btw while hda is installed i get the disk error in the boot sequence
below (no such with only sda in there) tho hda boots into linux just
fine.  i do wish i could stop it from waiting for me to hit F1.

262144 KB OK
Initialized Processor 0 - Model 5
Initialized Processor 1 - Model 5
1790-Disk 0 Error
SCSI Device Detected - System Board, SCSI ID 1: COMPAQ  WDE4360W
[hit F1 to boot]			Professional Workstation 5100