RE: NTP problems--UPDATE 2

> > > kernels, and various NTP packages, and now still can't get it
> > > working with 2.1AS...

> > > interface), yet I cannot get ntp to work.

> > >  9 11:52:07 EST 2003
> error: Success
>
> OK, a little bit of progress maybe.  Whenver ntp fails, lsof
> prints out
> the last line below:
>
> [root@www-nb03m0 fs]# lsof|grep ntpdate
> ntpdate     461     root  cwd    DIR        8,7     4096
> 144002 /root
> ntpdate     461     root  rtd    DIR        8,7     4096         2 /
> ntpdate     461     root  txt    REG        8,5    40460
> 128472 /usr/sbin/ntp
> date
> ntpdate     461     root  mem    REG        8,7   464409
> 65742 /lib/ld-2.2.4
> .so
> ntpdate     461     root  mem    REG        8,5    44851
> 64355 /usr/lib/libc
> ap.so.1.10
> ntpdate     461     root  mem    REG        8,7  5737154
> 64013 /lib/libc-2.2
> .4.so
> ntpdate     461     root    0u   CHR      136,3
>    5 /dev/pts/3
> ntpdate     461     root    1u   CHR      136,3
>    5 /dev/pts/3
> ntpdate     461     root    2u   CHR      136,3
>    5 /dev/pts/3
> ntpdate     461     root    3u  sock        0,0
> 175748304 can't identif
> y protocol

I played with things a bit more, and it seems that tcp_wrappers is the problem.
Unless, I add an "ALL:ALL" line in hosts.allow, I am not able to run ntpdate
As indicated above.  Even adding "ALL:NTP Server IP" does not help (where "NTP
Server IP" is the host I'm trying to run ntpdate against).

I'm confused...  Tcp_wrappers is for TCP connections, and should affect only
Incoming connections, but tcp_w is even causing problems for outgoing packets.

I don't see any DNS traffic at the time that ntpdate is run, in case this is
a resolution problem.  I've added the host I'm trying to run ntpdate against
in my /etc/hosts, since I've got a multi-home hosts that uses public DNS servers
yet, my NTP source is inside a/my private network.

Any ideas what tcp_w is doing wrong here?

Marco