Re: Glibc and NTP

Hmmm... that's weird.

I configured ntp pretty recently on my RedHat 7.2/i586 Classic box,
and I don't suspect having had anything extra installed.

Unfortunately that installation is now history, having been replaced with
Red Hat 9 on i586 MMX, so I don't have a direct opportunity to inspect
which glibc versions I had installed.
However, there was nothing "unstandard" on that installation, except that
I had re-compiled the kernel for wlan functionality. Everything else was
"out-of-the-box" as it came from the 7.2 installation CD's.

As far as I can see, the big question is "what is the factor that makes
these
systems unable to cope with ntp".
Have you tweaked the installations heavily, installed some other software
which possibly has replaced some libs (and require those libs), running
some experimental kernels etc.

Even though I have got quite familiar with ntp, I'm not familiar with the
glibc
related problems. Is there something in the way having the glibc-i686 just
lying there in addition to the glibc-i386 or do you have to make it "the
active
choice" in some way?

Hope this can be of some help, even though i doubt it.
What is it exactly that happens when "ntp won't work"?

Heikki