Re: Looking for installer GUI (possibly InstallShield-like.)

Toralf Lund wrote:

Sean Estabrooks wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:22:47 +0100
Toralf Lund <toralf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So I'm looking for software that would allow the user to complete the download and installation in fewer steps and using the GUI only - possibly by bundling the rpms and an installer front-end in one file.

Take a look at Apt and/or Yum utilties. Among other things they'll
let a user install a group of related rpms with a single command,
automatically resolving dependencies. Apt repositories are
accessible with a very nice GUI utility named Synaptic. A user need
only tell Synaptic where your archive is located and from then on will
have access to any new rpms you publish. Yum works along the same lines
but i don't know if it has comparable GUI utilitiy.

Yes these are nice tools, but not what's required here, I think - as long as they're not included in the OS distro and set up automatically on install. Relying on them would be just to shift the problem, to put it that way; the user would still have to go through a lot of "manual" steps to get the system ready to use those tools.

Also, I'm not even sure we can assume that the hosts have direct access to our download sites. Our experience is that customers will connect the kind of "production" machines we're talking about here only via elaborate gateway mechanisms and/or use separate hosts for all Internet access.

- Toralf

Look at Install Anywhere. This is the tool Borland uses for their products.

Wade