Re: Colored auras around text when using DVI connector

Mike A. Harris <mharris@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > What I don't understand is why everything works fine for a while (a day
> > or two) after a system reboot, and then invariably, the subpixel font
> > antialiasing starts misbehaving again.

> If your display is not powered on when X starts up, that might
> possibly have an effect.

My display would be powered up when I reboot.  But I do turn it off
frequently when not using it.  I wonder if that could have an effect.

> The settings can be changed per-user via config files, but I don't
> recall offhand where, as I don't have/use LCD displays, and never have
> to change such settings for any reason.  A quick googling may yield
> the answer though.

Well, I did figure it out, but it wasn't so quick.  I had to experiment
a lot and wade through a lot of cruft.  The config file in question is
/etc/fonts/fonts.conf.  The file is in a rather oblique xml format, but
I eventually figured out that adding this near the end of the file
solves my woes:

     <!-- Turn off subpixel font antialiasing and turn on full hinting.
	  [nessus@xxxxxxx]
      -->

     <match target="font">
     </match>

I ended up just turning off subpixel antialiasing altogether, since no
matter which choice I used, there were annoying color artifacts in some
cases.  VRGB worked the best, but even that did not eliminate the
unsightly halos completely.