RE: Backup management software recommendations required

Title: Message

We use Arkeia www.arkeia.com to backup a mix of linux and windows. The best solution after a couple of years of messing around is to have a seperate mahcine for back, running linux, and install clients on each machine.

>Retrospect worked in such a way that you installed client software on each machine, and then install a single server with the control software. Using this method, you did not have to set up any kind of file sharing etc as the client software would back itself up onto the server.

That's how all ntework backup software should work, and how Arkeia works. There are clients for msot platforms.

>It could be automated and I would get error messages from both the clients and the servers if a client had not checked in for its regular backup.

The automation level goes down to fine detail, differnet levels of backups on different days, revolving tapes, etc. Reports are emailed. Very slick.

There is a java gui that will work over an ssh tunnel so you can monitor and run the backups remotely.

It would be ideal if I could get something similar, but it is not essential. The only essential features are that its automated and manageable over a network.

Yep, Arkeia is the one. If you can manage to backup only two clients, Arkeia is free. After that it is reasonably priced.

Chris Mason
masonc@xxxxxxxxxx
Box 340, The Valley, Anguilla, British West Indies
Yahoo IM: netconcepts_anguilla@xxxxxxxxx
264 497-5670 Fax: 264 497-8463
www.netconcepts.ai