From: redhat-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:redhat-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Donald Tyler
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 9:02 AM
To: redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Backup management software recommendations required

Hi,

We have recently expanded our network rather quickly and have added 5 RedHat 9 servers to our single Mac XServe Server.

We used to use a piece of software for managing network backups called Retrospect, which worked perfectly. But they don’t seem to have any software for Linux.

What I am hoping is that someone can recommend a piece of software I can use to automate and remotely manage the backup of all six servers, preferably using a GUI interface.

Retrospect worked in such a way that you installed client software on each machine, and then install a single server with the control software. Using this method, you did not have to set up any kind of file sharing etc as the client software would back itself up onto the server. It could be automated and I would get error messages from both the clients and the servers if a client had not checked in for its regular backup.

It would be ideal if I could get something similar, but it is not essential. The only essential features are that its automated and manageable over a network.

Thanks in advance.

Donald Tyler