Re: Speed differences between RH8 and Winblows?

Cannon, Andrew wrote:
Okay, thanks for all the responses. Sorry if the posting was not detailed
enough. I expect that the hardware was the same in all cases, but I can't be
sure (company bulk purchase policy). What I'll do (in the next few months
probably) is try the same test at home and see what results I get.

Andy

P.S. Sorry for the long company signature, it is added automatically and
I've got no control over it.

NNC's UK Operating Companies : NNC Holdings Limited (no. 3725076), NNC Limited (no. 1120437), National Nuclear Corporation Limited (no. 2290928), STATS-NNC Limited (no. 4339062) and Technica-NNC Limited (no. 235856). The registered office of each company is at Booths Hall, Chelford Road, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 8QZ except for Technica-NNC Limited whose registered office is at 6 Union Row, Aberdeen AB10 1DQ. NNC's head office and principal address is Booths Hall and the switchboard number is 01565 633800. The NNC website is www.nnc.co.uk

Any information or opinions in this message which do not relate to our business are not authorised by any of the above companies. Where this message does relate to our business the content is sent to you by the relevant company (as above) and is confidential and intended for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. The contents do not form part of any contract unless so stated. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the NNC system manager by email at eadm@xxxxxxxxxx

I have never tried to build a clean room test, but I can say that I have a P4 based computer and a Celeron based computer. I use Netbeans to develop java applications. Netbeans for those who have not used it, consumes plenty of memory as it creates many objects. It is also a java based application, which means it runs in a VM as I do not choose to use native compilers. My P4 is a 1.6 and the celeron is a 1.2. One thing to note is the architechure for the P4 is much faster than the Celeron. The cpu alone supports a much faster bus. The hard disk is the same, one larger than the other which shouldn't really matter considering data retrieval rates. The same amount of RAM. The Celeron is running Fedora, and the P4 is running Windows XP.

The Celeron runs Netbeans much more responsively because of the way the OS handles memory paging and cpu cycles. Windows may be better at this when they release their new file system (maybe). But, for now those factors definitely play a role in that particular application.

Also, certain applications tend to run better on different OS. The main reason is usually that an application is written for one platform before the other. Then it is ported, and in porting the porters don't know as much about optimizing for the newer platform as they do the other. Disk access can be optimized if the programmer knows what they are doing. Some newbies know nothing of buffering to enhance file performance.

I find that my startup time of Fedora and XWindows takes for ever. This is a configuration problem I haven't yet identified. This isn't a bug in the software (per say), but it does speak to the automatic configuration of Windows. Which has nothing to do with actual performance, but the end result is better responsiveness, and a cloak for performance. Once I'm up and running however, it is what one would expect from the GUI.

Wade