Re: Speed differences between RH8 and Winblows?

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 08:54:30 -0000
"Cannon, Andrew" <Andrew.Cannon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm just collating some results from a test run I did using a Monte
> Carlo code on two different computers, one was a 1.5GHz P4 running
> Windows 2000 and the other was a 2.0GHz P4 running RH8.
>
> The Windows machine was faster than the RH machine. I ran the test again
> and got the same result. The difference was only 10%, but it was a
> surprise. Has anyone got any idea why there was so much of a difference?
>
> The test case didn't use much memory and the version of the program was
> the same in both cases (apart from running on different OSs of course).

Hey Andrew,

Assuming you compiled this yourself with gcc make sure you used the -O2
or -O3 compiler optimization switch, it often makes a very big difference.
If you're sure the simulation isn't I/O bound in some way then you'll
have to consider a wide range of possible problems.   A misconfigured
kernel or BIOS setting, or even a hardware problem.  In particular ensure
your CPU isn't being throttled because of overheating.

Good Luck,
Sean