RE: About grep

> That works but I generally prefer something more fun...
> find . -depth | xargs grep "string I am looking for"
>
> It seems to run a bit faster for me (Strange considering it is
> xargs and grep) and also, there are so many switches with find, you can do
> almost anything.

I also agree here.

In general, I would suggest "grep -r" for most sysadmins, esp. those not
comfortable yet with find.

For me personally, it's almost a habit to use find and I use it with most
everything (including in place of ls -R).  Esp. since I think recursive grep
was not a feature when I first starting sysadmining.

I hardly use "grep -r" but I think it is an easier way to remember how to
grep recurisvely.

As for find, correct me if i'm wrong but -depth will list all file types in
your output right?  (soft links, directories, etc.)

If this is not desired, admins/users may also want to consider

find . -type f | xargs grep "string"

Good post.  I haven't done any speed tests before so I find your speed
results enlightening.

Ben Y