Re: giving users their own http logs

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 01:54:00PM -0800, Ben Yau wrote:
> Hey
> That's neat.  I haven't seen that before.  Could you explain a bit more
> about how that works?  Does it check the whole logfile entry or is it smart
> enough to only check a certain field in LogFormat (I guess %r in this case).

The directives used and their purpose is explained in the Apache
documentation, so I won't go deeply into it, but just see the specific
features used here:

The SetEnvIf documentation reads:

"Request_URI - the resource requested on the HTTP request line --
generally the portion of the URL following the scheme and host portion
without the query string"

This means that if the URL requested by a browser is
"http://www.site.com/user1/index.html";, then "SetEnvIf Request_URI" will
only match against "/user1/index.html".

Also note, from mod_log_config documentation, that %r is "First line of
request", so the request method is included, as well as the querystring,
which are not matched by SetEnvIf.

> In the email before this Chris (the OP) mentioned he'd like to keep the
> original logs intact as well while providing real-time logging for users and
> if this works it'd certainly do the trick.  Looks like the big upside of
> this compared to scripting is the realtime separate logging is much more
> smooth.  The possible downside is the changing of the .conf file and
> restarting of apache whenever you need to add or take away users if you have
> to do that often.  I wonder if there's a way to do this and specify pattern
> matching in the .conf for httpd  :)  hmm...

>From what I've read, there is no way to do pattern matching. It would
probably be way to hard to do that, since you need to different
directives to perform this trick. The neat thing, is that by preserving
the standard CustomLog directive in your .conf file, you can maintain a
consolidated log for your own purposes (auditing, legal, etc.)

For more details on this, check the apache documentation which is pretty
well rounded up.

Cheers,
--
Javier Gostling D.