Re: Requesting new IP address RH 9

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, John Nichel wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I'm trying to get one of my RH boxes to request a new IP address from
> the upstream DHCP server, but I've run into a snag.  I've tried
> restarting the network, and using ifdown/ifup for the particular network
> card, but I keep getting the same IP.  I seem to remember a command in
> RH 7.x like 'dhcpcd', but it doesn't seem to be installed with RH 9, and
> I can't find a package for it.  I've googled, but can't find anything

The DHCP client package in RH9 is dhclient-3.0pl2-6.14.  If that's
installed, you should only need to run redhat-config-network and check
that you want to get IP settings using DHCP.

> that I haven't already tried to give me a NEW ip address (I don't want
> to get the same one).

As others have pointed out, if you were getting your IP from DHCP before,
you probably won't get a new address when you restart the interface.  If
you had a static address before, you *should* get a new address when you
DHCP for it.  The only reason I can think of that that wouldn't happen
would be if you actually were using a DHCP address (maybe copied from a
working DCHP on the Windows side of a dual boot) but were storing it
statically because you hadn't figured out how to DHCP on the Linux side.

There is a way to force-relinquish a DHCP lease (read the dhclient man
page), but I don't think that will guarantee that you don't get the same
IP on the next request.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences