RE: Requesting new IP address RH 9

John Nichel <mailto:jnichel@xxxxxxxxxx>
    on Friday, January 09, 2004 3:42 PM said:

>    I'm trying to get one of my RH boxes to request a new IP address
> from the upstream DHCP server, but I've run into a snag.

> I've googled, but
> can't find anything that I haven't already tried to give me a NEW ip
> address (I don't want to get the same one).

Now I'm no expert but I know that the MAC address of your nic is stored
in the DHCP server and given a lease time. I would guess that unless
your IP is taken by another NIC (when you ifdown [or whatever]) you'll
always get the same one.

In other words it's like the DHCP server saying "oh yeah I remember you!
here, i'll give you your old ip address back since you're familiar with
it."

Having said all that it may be possible to tell the DHCP server "hey can
I get a new ip address please?" In that case I have no idea. :)

Chris.