RE: Which partition should be the primary partition?

On Friday, January 09, 2004 4:24 PM, Sites, Brad is quoted as saying:
> On Friday, January 09, 2004 4:08 PM, Dave Martini 1 is quoted as
> saying:
>> Newbie questions.
>> Installting RHEL 3 and creating 3 partitions
>> /
>> /boot
>> swap
>> There is a checkbox when creating each partition that says
>> "force to be primary partition"
>> Should I select one of the above paritions to be the primary or
>> does Linux automatically make / the primary or /boot the primary?
> The first four partitions on a disk are called primary partitions.
> If more than four partitions are needed, one of the primary
> partitions is converted into an extended partition that contains one
> or more logical partitions.
> I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that, in the case of only
> creating three partitions, Disk Druid will only make primary
> partitions unless is requires more than four partitions total.
> You may be thinking about the MS term of marking one of the
> partitions as active or the boot partition.  That is not what this is
> talking about.

I forgot to add that you shouldn't have to force the primary partition
option unless you are creating more than four partitions and want to make
one of them primary instead of extended and logical.

Brad