Re: How to Backup Users in Redhat

On January 8, 2004 07:05 pm, Kumar wrote:
> hello list,
>
>   i recently installed redhat 7.3 and we have 25 users
> only but in future going to increase. i want to backup
> users so that when ever server get crash and just
> reinstall my server and recover this users backup
> file. which files do i need backup.? /etc/passwd file
> is enough.?
>
> thanks,
> Kumar.

Hi Kumar,
This is not something you should be faced with as Linux is very stable,
recovers from crashes quite well and of course, you have your backup tapes,
right :-)

/etc/passwd
/etc/group
/etc/shadow
/etc/gshadow

Those 4 will get you the user info but you'll still have to recreate home
directories etc. You would be best to use a script to recreat user accounts
by extracting the usernames etc from these files as opposed to just replacing
the existing ones and trying to get the environments and everything in place.
The tricky part with that would be to create a unique password for each user
and communicate that to them (securely). The shadow file would contain the
passwords but unless you have a good understanding of what you're doing in
there, you can break things.

Hope that helps.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce