Re: RH9 & Compaq Install problem

A 17:08 07/01/2004 +0000, vous avez écrit :
>Ken Cole wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I am trying to install RH9 on a Compaq ML380R3 rack mounted server.  The
CD boots and ask what language and what keyboard but then asks for an
installation device and cannot see the cd in the cd-rom, or isn't seing the
cd-rom.

>>Anyone have any ideas?  A boot time loader command?

had that problem with rh8 on ibm netfinity 5000. it worked with mandrake
8.x at the same time. it was a problem with the scsi driver (some special
version of the aic7xxx). with rh7.2 (which had the problem too) there was a
workaround to specify the old aic7xxx driver during boot (don't remember
exactly but it was a kernel boot option). the workaround didn't work with
rh8. I knew I had to build a custom driver diskette but I didn't know how
to do that at this time (and got no help from lists...) so I switched to
mandrake on those servers.

actually ibm netfinity 5000/5500 servers have an ide cdrom drive, and on
board scsi controlers. for whatever reason, the bios emulates a scsi cdrom
drive (you can see this during boot when scsi controlers are fired up). so
thought the cdrom is an ide device, the kernel doesn't see it once loaded
because the scsi driver isn't good !!!

that was all to say that your problem might be a device driver problem
relative to the cdrom drive. the bios loads the loader, the loader loads
the kernel, and once loaded the kernel doesn't see the drive(s). if you
have builtin adaptec scsi controler, the quickest test will be done by
trying and installing a old mandrake (8 works for sure in this case)

hth