Re: managing passwords

On January 6, 2004 11:17 am, Chris W. Parker wrote:
> hi.
>
> now that i've installed a second linux server (i also have 5 windows
> servers) i find myself having to remember a ton of passwords (by ton i
> mean more than my own brain can deal with) and usernames.
>
> how do you people deal with this?
>
> do you use the same password on similar accounts? i.e. same password for
> all your root accounts, all your mysql root account, etc.
>
> do you use a password manager?
>
> are all your passwords blank? :P
>

> thanks for your input!
> chris.

I like to use a different password on each machine I admin so I am never
logging into the wrong box. My acct name tends to be one of only a few
variations. Anyway, I usually do a keyboard pattern as opposed to a
pronounced password. This seems more secure (even I don't actually know some
of them) but mainly I can always associate a pattern with the server,
sometimes the pattern will mimick an aspect of the name. So a server named
Merlin may have a "M" pattern on the keyboard.
Admittedly I am very good at remembering numbers and patterns (no so good with
peoples names!), but it is only a suggestion, and "it works for me".
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce