Printer Setup Broken

System is RH9.

After a botched attempt to relocate /var due to drive space limitations, I had
some scrambled permissions in various places in the /var tree. All that I
found had changed to root:root. I used:

rpm -Va | grep UG

to produce a list of files with changed permissions, and all under /var have
been restored to their original settings. The printer works from the command
line, e.g.:

ls -l > /dev/lp0

The configuration has been checked and saved with the Redhat gui tool. It will
print any appropriate test pages, and these tests create files in
/var/spool/cups/. KMail prints and creates files in /var/spool/cups/. But the
Gimp and OpenOffice do not print. They say they are printing, and do not
produce any errors, but neither do they produce any printer activity. No
files appear under /var/spool/cups/. I have checked and rechecked the
settings, restarted the programs, and restarted cups.

It looks like the jobs are spooling into a black hole. I have been unable to
locate any evidence which might provide a clue. Any ideas?

--
Carl Brown
Whitefield, NH USA