RE: Sendmail configuration problem? Some servers refusing to receive mail from me...

On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 09:52, Donald Tyler wrote:
> My MTA does announce itself as a domain name. All the forward and
> reverse lookups are set up correctly.

I agree...

[root@enterprise mail]# dig +short mail.frazerbilt.com a
65.45.50.130

[root@enterprise mail]# dig +short -x 65.45.50.130
mail.frazerbilt.com.

> Steve Philips suggestion seems the most plausible at the moment. So I
> will look into that when I return to work on Monday.

Sure enough, when I connected into your mail server from my end, the
trailing period is being announced (see the 220 line).

[root@voyager mail]# telnet mail.frazerbilt.com 25
Trying 65.45.50.130...
Connected to mail.frazerbilt.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.frazerbilt.com. ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.8/8.12.8; Sun, 4 Jan 2004
10:13:48 -0600
quit
221 2.0.0 mail.frazerbilt.com. closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

> If you know of how to stop my sendmail MTA from adding a period to the
> end of its hostname, I would appreciate the info, as this is what Steve
> suggests is the problem.

First, your asking how to change the hostname announcement sendmail
uses, so I would think you have not added the appropriate entries to
sendmail.mc to change your hostname announcement in the first place. So
sendmail is using the hostname (canonical name) it derived at startup (I
think it issues a gethostbyname). To me, this points to your servers
hostname/domain name, resolver lib config problem. At least something
along those lines.

To answer your question, add the following line to your sendmail.mc file
to change sendmails hostname announcement (HELO). Make sure you
re-create sendmail.cf

define(`confDOMAIN_NAME', `mail.frazerbilt.com')dnl

NOTE: I use the above at my end because my mail server sits behind a
firewall and its internal hostname is different than mail.mydomain.com
(my MX record). So I add this line to make other MTA's happy when they
do a reverse lookup based on the HELO my end sends for outbound mail.

Steve Cowles