Re: howto tell which dependency is required

On Sat, 2004-01-03 at 16:54, Bilal Dar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using redhat for some time now, but the biggest problem i have is
> while installing some package. Normally it requires some dependency
> and i dont know which package that dependency belongs, is there a way
> to know that?

Can you give an example?  Usually, rpm will tell you which package is
required.  Occassionally a 3rd party developer will package an rpm that
refers to a specific file (libsomething_or_other.so.2), but this is
pretty rare.  In those cases, a quick Google or rpmfind.net search
reveals the needed package.

> i think up2date -i installs the dependencies as well but i normally
> have them in the cd but i dont know that they are in which package.

If you're having dependency problems with mainstream packaged software,
using apt-rpm or yum is pretty nice.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting