Re: Auto-indent

On Saturday 03 January 2004 00:16, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> Is there a way to turn auto-indent on in gvim or emacs?  I am a
> programmer and I like the syntax highlighting features of gvim and emacs
> (I use gvim), but I have to indent all my statement blocks manually.  If
> there is a way, I would really like to know how...
for vim (try it in a console first, and read the help option)
:set autoindent
this will indent the following line to the same level as the preceding one
this can also be set permanently in ~/.gvimrc and/or ~/.vimrc
you can finetune the indentation, including setting up what constitutes a code
block (ie, indent lines starting with '{' etc)

more useful info:

:help autoindent
:help indent

HTH