Re: X over LAN

On Thursday, January 1, 2004, at 09:09 PM, L. K. Pierce wrote:
I would like to run a remote GUI session over a LAN and possibly from
outside the LAN.  The LAN consists of four boxes (RH 8.0, RH 9, Win2K,
and WinXP) and a black box DSL router.  The RH 9 box is my main machine;
the RH 8.0 box is my experimental machine and has no monitor. The
Windows machines are used by the less enlightened here ;)

My questions:

1.  Is the remote X method I will describe below safe to use on a LAN?

2.  Would it be safe if I used the same method from outside the LAN via
the Internet?

This sounds like an excellent job for a combination of a VPN-like connection such as PPTP, and VNC to do the GUI part. VNC is available on most major platforms, and is much more efficient in dealing with limited bandwidth (i.e. a remote connection) than X is. PPTP runs on Linux and is also a Microsoft VPN protocol available on, at least, XP -- not sure about any of the earlier Windows OS's).

In this case, the X protocol stuff is all done in memory on the remote
machine - only the screen changes are sent over the VNC/PPTP link...