Re: Content negotiation in Apache

At 12:02 12/30/2003, you wrote:
Instead of using a rule that targets *.html can't you add a rewrite rule
for every specific page that you change? Then after you changed them all
you can replace those rules with a catch all.

You could, but successfully using one of the other options below will make this one unnecessary, right?

> * Figure out how to get the requested URL from PHP somehow, so that
> I can then suggest the "correct" new URL to the visitor.

 ? Not sure what you want to do here. If the called page actually exists
you already know it's name...

A single 404 page can have PHP code that says "You asked for X page, which no longer exists. The new page and correct URL is Y." Here, X and Y are located in an array, and Y is supplied according to whatever X the visitor requested. I just have to read the docs to see how to get X. Surely not difficult.

Unless you want to combine this with what you mention below.

>          * Figure out how to get Apache to serve this page on any 404 "not
> found" error.

ErrorDocument 404 /somepage.html

Ah... thanks! <grin>

Cheers,