Re: Content negotiation in Apache

At 01:15 12/27/2003, you wrote:
As I understand it, http://domain.com/sendmail-howto should resolve
first to http://domain.com/sendmail-howto/index.<suffix>, where suffix
is usually html, or shtml, or php, or whatever.

You are correct in that this does happen in a default install of Apache. (At least in the default RPM install by Red Hat.)

I am not aware of any way to get apache to try to tack a suffix onto
the name, only a filename onto the path.

It certainly exists:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/content-negotiation.html

I'm just trying to figure out how to make it work now. :-) Rather than creating a .var file for _every_ resource I want to have mapped, I would much rather have Apache know always to serve up PHP preferably, HTML if PHP is not available, and TXT files as a last resort. How to do that in the configuration directives for my server (or just my virtualhost) is what I have not figured out yet.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com