Re: Update boot problem

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Brown" <eli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 27, 2003 12:56 AM
Subject: Update boot problem

> mnow writes:
>  > I have RH7.2 and RH9 on the same system. Grub.conf is setup to load
either
>  > version.
>  > Problem:   After updating the RH9 kernel, RH7.2 hangs on load with
error,
>  >
>  > Mounting /proc filesystem
>  > Creating root device
>  > Mounting root filesystem
>  > Mount: error 19 mounting ext3
>  > Pivotroot: pivot_root (/sysroot, /sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
>  > freeing unused kernel memory
>  > Kernel panic: no init found. Bypassing init= option to kernel
>  >
>  > Unfortunately I did not make a boot disk.
>  > Any thought to correct this problem.
>  >
>  >
>  > Mark
>
> First off, what version of rh9 did you update from, and what version
> did you update to?  When I updated from the 2.4.20-24.9 to the
> 2.4.20-27.9 kernel, I noticed that all of my previous kernel images
> were deleted.  Other members of this list who used up2date did not
> notice this behaviour.  See the archives for the thread I started on
> tcpdump problems, where I mention this in passing.
>
> Perhaps you, like I, updated by downloading the rpms and applying the
> updates manually.  Check, if you can, to see if your /boot filesystem
> has had all earlier kernel images purged from it.  I suspect that
> might be your problem.
>
> The likely recovery path is to re-install the desired kernel, assuming
> you have some way to boot the machine in the first place.  :-(
>
> PS I hope you keep good up to date backups!
>
> --
> --------  "And there came a writing to him from Elijah"  [2Ch
1:12]  --------
> R. J. Brown III  rj@xxxxxxxxxxx http://www.elilabs.com/~rj  voice 859
567-7311
> Elijah Laboratories Inc.    P. O. Box 166, Warsaw KY 41095    fax 859
567-7311
> -----  M o d e l i n g   t h e   M e t h o d s   o f   t h e   M i n
  ------

> --

This actually happend when up2date update from 2.4.20-6 to 2.4.20-20.9
All older image files are still in tact with RH7 being on Hd0,3 and RH9 on
Hd0,6 .
Still unclear where Mount error 19 comes from as I have even tried copying
the
VMlinuz and VMlinux files back to the boot directory in thoughts they may
have been damaged
but to no avail.
I am still able to boot to RH9 2.4.20-6 kernel but no RH7 2.4.7-10 kernel.
Any suggestion on corrupt files?

Thank you,

Mark