Re: How do i Block Adult Sites through IPTABLE

On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 08:21:04AM -0600, Rigler, Steve wrote:
> Wouldn't it be more efficient to set up squid and use it to block adult sites?

By a *long* shot.  Using iptables, you've got a management nightmare.
For starters, it's up to you to determine what you mean by "adult site"
and for each of those, you need to determine what IP addresses they're
available on.  If a site hosts both adult and non-adult material, you'll
be blocking the entire site, not just the adult portion.  If a site's IP
address changes, or a new address pops up, you've got more editing to
do.  Your table will end up being very long and inefficient.

I spent all of 30 seconds looking for squid methods to block adult
sites (Google:  "squid block adult site") and came up with these pages:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/njadmin/
http://squidguard.mesd.k12.or.us/

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA