Re: using chkconfig

On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 07:54:31AM -0500, Jason Dixon wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-12-24 at 03:04, Kashif Awan wrote:
> > I have compiled the binaries of squid 2.5 and also
> > created a startup script in /etc/rc.d/init.d .Now I
> > want to use chkconfig to manage the run levels to
> > start and shutdown in different run levels, but when I
> > run the command chkconfig --add squid it shows an
> > error that the service squid is not supported by
> > chkconfig .Can somebody
> > tell me what is the problem.
>
> Your service script requires "chkconfig:" and "description:" lines at
> the top to support chkconfig.  See the below example from my sshd
> script.  The chkconfig line provides three values: the default levels to
> run in (2345), the start sequence (S55), and the kill sequence (K25).

Our startup script does have the lines.  Here's the top of our
/etc/rc.d/init.d/squid script:

#!/bin/bash
# squid         This shell script takes care of starting and stopping
#               Squid Internet Object Cache
#
# chkconfig: - 90 25
#       a way to store requested Internet objects (i.e., data available  \
#       via the HTTP, FTP, and gopher protocols) on a system closer to the \
#       requesting site than to the source. Web browsers can then use the \
#       local Squid cache as a proxy HTTP server, reducing access time as \
#       well as bandwidth consumption.
# pidfile: /var/run/squid.pid
# config: /etc/squid/squid.conf

[ewilts@corpftp ewilts]$ rpm -qf /etc/rc.d/init.d/squid
squid-2.4.STABLE6-6.6.2
The build host for our release was at Red Hat.

I also checked the Fedora development, and there's a SRPM for Squid 2.5
there.  I'm fairly confident that it would have the right startup
scripts.
 ftp://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/SRPMS/
It's also in Fedora Core 1:
ftp://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/1/SRPMS/

Cheers,
        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA