Re: Help...

On December 20, 2003 03:54 am, Ben Sewell wrote:
> I need help. I got a savaged 8.6 gig hard drive to have a linux install. I
> booted using a windows 98 bootdisk and used FDISK to make a FAT32 partition
> for the whole drive. I then did fdisk /mbr, followed by a format. I then
> rebooted and put in a linux bootdisk i made on my win xp pro machine. I
> then installed linux using autopartition and choosing LILO as the
> bootloader. I then restarted hpoing for linux to boot, but the computer
> screen just showed LI. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
>
> Ben

> Send a funky Messenger Christmas card http://www.msn.co.uk/christmascard

Hi Ben
Is this on older hardware? As I recall the LI means it never finishes loading
the second stage because it can't find the os. It is either a hardware
limitation or a (older?) lilo limitation that needs the /boot (with the
kernel image in it) to be on the first 1024MB. GRUB is the newer and more
versitile boot loader and is probably your best choice.

Is the 8.6 GB the only drive in the machine?

You may need to either use GRUB as the bootloader, or else create a /boot
partition in the first 1024MB of the first drive, and use lilo. Creating a
/boot partition may require playing with a partioin resizuing utility or a
reinstall, or sticking a old 100mb drive to hold the startup stuff.

If the system can boot a cd and you have install cd's, then booting into
rescue from the cd and installing GRUB may solve things. If that is the case,
there are a few steps but it is fairly painless.

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce