Re: apache index page

Hi all

how do you set apache to load your website with out typing
the default page.When i want to load my webpage i have to
to for ex. http://192.168.0.1/index.htm i want it to load
by typing http://192.168.0.1. When i do that the apache
test page loads.How do i get around this please?

in your configure file (/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf ?) look for the line like the following:

DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.htm index.shtml default.html default.htm home.html home.htm

Make sure that index.htm is listed. Also you probabably want it listed first, since that is the one that you want as default. Leave the others there, since they will not harm anything and might be needed later.This tells Apache to look for the following files in order. That is, as in the above example, it looks first for index.php and loads that. If not found it looks for index.html, then looks for index.htm. In my case, most of my pages are .php so I have that first. Then it looks for the .html pages, since I have a couple of those in download directories to keep people from getting directory listings.