Re: Cannot relay email through mail server

----- Original Message -----
From: "Infotech" <infotechipe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 11:24 AM
Subject: Cannot relay email through mail server

> Hello,
>
> I have set up my mail server, I'm running sendmail on RedHat9.
> I pointed my MX record to the server and have set up a user account,
> with this user account I can receive emails, I can download them from a
> remote location with an email client.
>
> But I cannot send an email out from a remote location. I can send one if
> I'm localhost.
>
> I keep getting : "The mail server responded: 5.7.1 <email>...Relaying
> denied. IP name possibly forged [IP]."
>
> Any ideas?

Yves,

You're getting the appropriate response from sendmail.  You do not want to
have your email server be an open relay (allowing folks from outside your
server sending email to others outside of your system) because then the spam
folks will take over your email server.

If you are away from the system, the solution to this problem is usually one
of two things:
1) Log in via ssh and use a text email client such as pine or mutt
2) set up smtp-auth and use a client that supports this protocol.

smtp-auth will allow your outside client to prove that it has the authority
to relay mail, if set up correctly.

Rodolfo and I are collaborating on a step-by-step HOWTO on getting a fully
functioning, fully secure email server set up.  I imagine that it'll take us
a few weeks before we have anything remotely releasable, so if you can't
wait, I'd start googling for smtp-auth and see what you can come up with.

Sorry, and I hope that helps,

Ben