RE: password confirmation

>"su" won't work if their shell is /bin/false.
>
>Try out that "checkpassword" proggy or the other suggestion
>on verifying against the hash with a perl script.
>
>-Steve

Why wouldn't su work for verifying a password ? If I'm not mistaken the
shell
is not invoked until after login.  so if you did

su - <user>
Password: <type in password>

password correct = log in and log out again (because there is no shell)
password incorrect = password incorrect message

am i mistaken here?

I just started at a new job here and don't have root yet so I can't test it
and
I'm curious!

Thanks :)
Ben