Re: Network profiler

On Wednesday 17 December 2003 12:12 pm, Daniel Nyström wrote:
> Hi!

Hi Daniel,

> These tools has been useful for me in similar situations:
>
> * iptraf
> * ethereal and tcpdump

(As an answer to Jason, yes it is a private link directly between my two
sites.)

I've used ethereal before, so I'll give that another go.  The problem I see is
setting the capture and display criteria correctly to provide me with the
information I need.

iptraf I've not looked at but will give it a go if ethereal doesn't do what I
want.

Has anyone had any experience analysing the output from tcpdump directly, e.g.
piping to a perl script to generate stats?  If so, can anyone suggest
pointers for me? (such as how to put the i/f into promiscusous mode directly,
which I believe ethereal does on startup).

--
Gary Stainburn