Re: man path problem

On 20:48 15 Dec 2003, Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| I've got a question about the man pages.  On my cron problem a lot of
| you told me to check the man pages.  I couldn't find any man pages for
| cron.  I couldn't find any man pages for anything, so I think there's a
| shell variable somewhere that needs to be set.  I checked the $MANPATH
| variable, but the only location in it was the one that the Qt
| documentation told me to set.  I have included the code that Qt told me
| to insert into /etc/profile:
|
| if [$MANPATH]
| then
|    MANPATH=$QTDIR/man:$MANPATH
| else
|    MANPATH=$QTDIR/man
| fi

Your test command is busted. You want this:
	if [ -n "$MANPATH" ]
or
	if [ "$MANPATH" ]
if you're overly trusting.

Note the spaces.

Bust generally you should have a MANPATH anyway, so you can just go:

	MANPATH=$MANPATH:$QTDIR/man
	export MANPATH

and not bother with the "if" statement at all.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

...the greatest part of our romances in the English language... stop just at
the marriage, and give no view of the disgust, repentance, and unhappiness
that ensues.    - Hugh Henry Brackenridge