Re: EMC to acquire VMware

On December 15, 2003 07:54 pm, Ed Wilts wrote:
> Now this acquistion doesn't make any sense at all.  It's too bad to see
> VMware get taken over, especially by EMC.  Hopefully, though, the folks
> at VMware can teach those EMC engineers how write code.  EMC makes great
> storage controllers, but their software (Windows-only Java crap) sure
> sucks.
>
> http://www.theregister.com/content/61/34523.html
>
>         .../Ed
>
> p.s. I may be biased because I'm a past VMware customer and a current
> EMC customer.

Hi Ed,
I have used VMware at work in various server/workstn configurations and it is
the single tool that allows me to keep my Linux box while in microsoft
centric environment. When I first read your post I was hopeful that they may
leave it as a separate entity but reading the link to theregister, it sounds
like they plan to take it over, not just own the name.

I was just looking at an article in Linux Mag on new products that mentions
XEN. It sounds like an open source project worth looking at, at least for a
home testing as it is "still relatively new". I haven't tried it yet, but the
site is at:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce